West Sea Company

18. Lighting & Lamps

Prices in U.S. Dollars are in GREEN



18.31  PORT & STARBOARD RUNNING LAMP.  Extra nice 19th century American combination port and starboard running lamp.  This handsome veteran of the sea is all brass with hand-finished details.  The red and green glass lenses are of the Freznel type and are in perfect condition.  This oil-fired lamp is well aspirated with a series of 12 air inlets on the rectangular back, 12 heart-shaped outlets in the chimney as well as a series of small openings in the very top.  It is equipped with its original font and burner.  The font screws into the bottom with a bayonet twist.  The burner is the classic wedge-type, embossed "SIMPLEX" and the wick advance knob is embossed "E. MILLER CO., Made In U.S.A."  The rear of the lamp has a shoe attached with 6 rivets for mounting to the ship.  The classic "mushroom" chimney had a folding suspension ring for hanging.  Of special note it the fact that this lamp still retains its original light curtain divider which slides into a track on the front of the lamp.  9 ¼ inches tall exclusive of the ring   11 inches with ring.  5 1/8 inches in diameter.  8 inches deep with curtain.  Remarkably well- preserved condition for a marine object of this type well over 100 years old.  The brass surfaces have acquired a very lovely statuary bronze age patina, yet still retain their luster.  Such lamps  simply don't come any nicer!  549


port starboard

back font

maker

Order Info




18.29  AMERICAN RUNNING LAMP.  Genuine early 1900's combination port and starboard running lamp for a small craft.  This little veteran of the sea is hand-made of all brass.  It features thick red and blue Freznel glass lenses each representing an arc of 12 points of the compass or 135 degrees each.  In addition this lamp has its original removable light curtain to further delineate the light's output.  The light source is a small oil font and burner which fits into the bottom with a spring-loaded press fit.  The burner is of the non-aspirated "wedge" type.  The wick advance knob is embossed "H. LOVELL & CO."  Of added value is the fact that the lamp body retains its original hinged bottom cover.  The back has 4 "pine tree" inlet vents at the bottom and the riveted mounting bracket embossed "PATENTED APRIL 1st 1913."  The bulbous chimney has numerous heart-shaped vents and a folding bail handle for carrying.  The lamp body is 9 1/4 inches tall by 5 inches wide.  It is 11  inches tall overall, inclusive of the handle.  It measures 7 ½ inches front to back with the light curtain.  Outstanding condition in every respect showing actual use but no abuse.  The lenses are perfect.  425

The Lovell Manufacturing Company was founded by F. H. Lovell in Arlington, New Jersey around the time of the Civil War.  It came to be known primarily as a maker of marine lamps.  The Lovell Company acquired the Dressel Railway Lamp Works in the 1920's while continuing to use the Dressel name in marketing.  Eventually the firm's name changed to the Lovell-Dressel Company.  In the late 1960's it was absorbed into the Adams & Westlake Company.


port
starboard

back
bottom

open
light shield

patent
maker

Order Info







18.22   RUNNING LIGHTS.  Very nice matched pair of port and starboard running lights for a large pleasure craft.  These heavy, solid bronze lights date to pre-World War II.  The thick red and green Freznel glass lenses are embossed "PERKINS SIDE MOULD No. 3" and the lamp bodies are each marked "PERKO" in 2 places and are dated "1934.".  These patented lights have a sleek teardrop design which is very eye catching in an art deco style.  The colorful glass lenses contrast beautifully with the statuary bronze surfaces.  Complete with 12 volt wiring, socket and bulb.  Highly polished, preserved finish.  10 ¼ inches long by 5 inches high and 3 inches thick.  With a few very minor flaws in the glass, these lovely lights must be rated as being in excellentoriginal condition.  Cheap!  395/pair


Frederick Persky, a Russian immigrant, schooled in Germany as a machinist, came to the United States in 1890 and soon found work at the Bliss Company in Brooklyn, New York.  In the early 1900's he and a partner began their own business out of his house, called, F. Persky & Company, Lantern Manufacturer.
In 1907, Frederick's son Louis joined him in the business, and together they enlarged the product line and their manufacturing facilities. By 1912, then under the name of Perkins Marine Lamp Corporation, they were manufacturing a wide range of lanterns and marine products.  Five generations later, PERKO is still a privately owned, family operated corporation, operating out of Miami, Florida in 1960.



perspective
pair

port
starboard

perko

Order Info




18.26  CHRIS CRAFT RUNNING LIGHTS.   A simply amazing matched pair of port and starboard running lights from a large, early pleasure craft.  These heavy lights are constructed of thick solid cast brass in a super high luster finish.  Each has a thick ribbed Freznel lens with the source of elimination being a 12 watt bulb.  Originally these light were nickel-plated.  The interiors still exhibit that fact.  The lovely form of these lights is classic Art Deco indicative of their 1930's construction.  12 inches long by 7 ¼ inches high and 4 inches thick.  Each light weighs an impressive 14 pounds!  Outstanding original condition.  Easily re-electrified for a spectacular look!  Best set of its type we have ever offered.  975


perspective
backs

port
starboard

astern

Order Info




18.25  MASTHEAD LIGHT.  Miniature all brass American-made small craft running light.  This early 1900's ship's light has a Freznel lens with an arc of 225o embossed "PERKO 225" on one side.  Telling of its early manufacture, the glass has a purple tinge indicative of its manganese content as used in glass making at the turn-of-the-century.  The bottom of the light is open for inserting a bulb and the back has 2 holes on each side for mounting to the ship's superstructure.  5 inches tall by 4 ½ inches wide.  Excellent original condition in a high, lacquered polish.  The glass lens is perfect.  This would make a charming porch light or nautical theme interior light.  Try finding any contemporary 'cheap' light made in China for this price!  This  is antique solid brass antique with a sea history.  95


back
bottom

side

Order Info




18.24  SIDE LAMP.  Mid 1800's auxiliary oil lantern used to illuminate an early binnacle.  This all brass lantern is entirely hand-made with carefully formed riveted and soldered joints.  The very unusual tall chimney with mushroom top was designed to disperse the heat created by the oil-fired burner within.  The unique burner is porcelain and is signed "BARTONS Trademark"  It has a long wick advance knob which works properly, raising and lowering it into the circular brass font.  The burner assembly is seated in the aspirated semicircular body having a glazed hinged door with sliding pin closure. The glass in the door is the original old wavy type.  The forward edges of the lamp are flared to slide into a receiving tracking track on the side of a binnacle.  A double wire bail handle is provided for carrying and seating.  8 inches tall by 4 ¼ inches with (with handles) and exactly 3 ¼ inches wide on the flanges. Fabulous original condition with a beautiful statuary bronze age patina.  SOLD


back
open

components
interior

burner



18.20  GIMBALLED LAMPS.  Matched pair of diminutive American swinging cabin lamps made by the prestigious makers "PERKO" of Brooklyn, New York as impressed on the mounting plates and again on the bottoms.  These solid brass lanterns are heavily weighted to remain vertical on a rolling ship in a seaway.  The suspending forked brackets pivot in their mounts or can be locked in place by a small set screw on the top.  Each is complete with its original "star type" pop up burner with wick advance knob marked "E. MILLER CO. Made In U.S.A."  Telling of its early origins PERKO began making their own burners in the mid-1900's.  These complex burners tilt back for cleaning and access to the wick without having to remove the chimney.  The original crystal glass chimneys are fluted and held in place with a small set screw on the front.  Each lamp is mounted to its custom-made hardwood back board with our unique hanging eye countersunk on the back for a flush fit to the bulkhead.  4 5/8 wide by 12 inches tall.  The lamps extend exactly 6 inches from the wall.  Outstanding original condition is all respects.  As clean and cute as the come.  Especially suited for a small yacht or room with limited space.  649/pr


perspective
perko

Order Info




18.45  RARE SHIP's ONION LAMP.   Lovely, Civil War era ship's globe lantern or "onion lamp" from the days of sail.  This American lamp is all copper with its original blown glass globe.  Entirely hand-made, it exhibits neat riveted and soldered joints, punched cruciform vents and a castellated top.  The top and bottom of the lamp are connected by 5 stout copper supports which double as guards encircled by an equally heavy equatorial ring.  The top of the lamp hinges open and there was a provision for a hasp.  The blade is present but the flap is not.   This lamp is complete with its brass font and burner which press in from the bottom and are held with a bayonet twist.  The very unusual burner is highly aspirated and the wick advance knob is impressed "HOLMES BOOTH & HAYDEN WATERBURY CONN."   This truly wonderful old lamp measures 15 inches tall (17 1/2 inches overall with the handle) and is 11 inches in diameter   The thick glass globe is wavy with bubbles and inclusions, typical of glass manufactured prior to the Civil War.  One heat crack in the glass does exist which, happily, does not even show from most perspectives.   Lovely form, condition, and age patina with no corrosion.   A very rare example of a nicely preserved early marine lantern, being the biggest and best lamp of its type we have ever offered.  Circa 1860. 795

The manufacturing company of Holmes, Booth & Haydens began in 1853 with the partnership of Hiram W. Hayden, Israel Holmes and John C. Booth in Waterbury, Connecticut. The firm was incorporated on February 2, 1853.  Bothers Henry H. and James A. Hayden were among the partners, hence the plural Haydens in the company name.  The company was engaged in casting, rolling and drawing brass and copper.  They were major players in the manufacture of lamps, burners and trimmings.
Israel Holmes began his metal working business in 1820, having formed many companies that manufactured sheet metal and wire.  Holmes left the firm in 1869 to form Holmes, Booth and Atwood, later named Plume & Atwood.  He died in 1874.

Hiram W. Hayden was a prolific inventor who had nearly 30 lamp and lighting patents.   His other patented inventions include a breech-loading rifle, a breech-loading cannon, a magazine rifle, patents & designs for buttons, medals, and a machine for making solid metal tubing,

Copper, an elemental metal prized for its heat conductivity, malleability and resistance to corrosion, was the premium material used by manufacturers of the earliest marine lighting.


side
open

interior
bottom

bottom perspective
maker

Order Info




18.10 EXCEPTIONAL SALON LAMPS.    Rare matched pair of American ship’s cabin lamps in unusually decorative form.  These handsome lamps are all brass retaining their original gilded finish.  The counter weighted fonts hold star-type “pop-up” burners with wick advance knob embossed “E. MILLER CO., U.S.A.”  The complex burners allow the top to tilt back with its chimney for servicing the wick.  A small flower-shaped screw holds the fluted glass chimney securely in place.  The decoratively scalloped fonts are suspended within their ornate gimbal rings.  The gimbals pivot between two elaborate supports with floral trim, each embellished with mascaroon heads.  The bases of the lamps contain heavily weighted cast lead inserts which allow them to remain stable on a flat surface.  But they are also equipped with a hanging bracket in the base so that they can be mounted to the bulkhead perpendicularly.  8 inches tall exclusive of the chimneys.  11 inches tall overall.  The bases measure 4 ¾ inches in diameter and the lamps are 6 5/8 inches wide at the widest.  Overall condition is outstanding and original showing good age.  The action of the gimbal is amazing.  Given the slightest touch it rocks back and forth for minutes!  Most unusual to find a decorative yet functional ship’s lamp of this quality, much less a matched pair!  895 Special Packaging

CAUTION



reverse
gimbal detail



bracket
burner



maker
bottom

Order Info



18.11  GIMBAL LAMP PAIR.   Matched pair of early 1900’s American ship’s cabin lanterns by the prestigious maker “PERKO” as stamped in 3 places on each.  These handsome all brass salon lamps are mounted on old single plank solid teak backboards.  The rich wood was actually taken from old ships dating to the early 1900’s, salvaged in the 1970’s.  The lamps themselves date to the early part of the 1900’s.  They consist of a bulbous font with a weighted base.  The burners are the high quality “pop-up” type holding their crystal glass chimney allowing them to hinge back to expose the wick for servicing.  A small thumbscrew secures the chimneys in place.  The lamps are mounted in their heavy brass gimbal brackets stamped “PERKO” and fit into their circular brackets, similarly marked.   The brackets also have thumbscrews which secure the gimbals, or if tightened fully, prevent them from gimbaling.  The upper portion of each plaque is fitted with its original smoke bell.  The back of the teak plaque retains its original brass mounting support.  This outstanding presentation measures 14 inches tall by 8 inches wide.  The lamp with chimney is 12 inches tall and extends 7 ¼ inches from the bulkhead.  A fabulous matched pair of identified seagoing salon lamps guaranteed to be over 80 years old in immaculate condition!  949

SOLD

Frederick Persky, a Russian immigrant, schooled in Germany as a machinist, came to the United States in 1890.  He soon found work at the Bliss Company in Brooklyn, New York.  In the very early 1900's he and a partner began their own business, F. Persky & Company, Lantern Manufacturer, out of his house.

In 1907, Frederick's son Louis joined him in the business, and together they enlarged the product line and their manufacturing facilities.  By 1912, under the name of Perkins Marine Lamp Corporation, they were manufacturing a wide range of lanterns and marine products.  The company name was changed to Perkins Marine Lamp and Hardware Corporation, better known as “PERKO,” in 1932 to reflect the growing line of products which it offered.   Five generations later, PERKO is still a privately owned, family operated corporation, now operating out of Miami, Florida since 1960.


perspective
detail

maker
back



18.57  FANCY SHIP’s CABIN LAMP.   Impressive early 1900’s ship’s cabin lamp stamped “Made In Holland” on the hood.  This extra large light is solid brass with 3 beveled glass panels.  Each panel is hand-cut with decorative star bursts.  The interior of the lamp has a corrugated reflector on the back.  The font contains flame-like bulb wired for standard 110V use.  It has a hinged door with sliding pin closure.  The top of the lamp has a folding bail handle with teakwood grip.  The rear of the lamp is reinforced with a copper hanging bracket with riveted  support.  It comes with it original bulkhead mounted clip which fits in the “shoe” allowing the lamp to be removed from its mount for servicing.  17 inches tall exclusive of the handle and 9 ¼ inches wide.  It weighs 10 pounds.  Speaking to its age and authenticity it retains its original old wiring with cloth covering.  Excellent original condition throughout with absolutely no damage.  The surfaces have acquired desirable wear and patina consistent with age.  WAS 869 NOW! 569


side
back

glass
mark

Order Info



17.27/18.98  OCEAN LINER BUNK LAMPS.  Exceptional matched pair of 1st Class Cabin bunk lamps retrieved from an English passenger liner during the Golden Age of liner travel. These classic Art Deco lamps are pleasingly cast in “tear drop” form in solid bronze!  The extremely heavy bodies house the thick ribbed Fresnel glass lenses which focused the light for the reader.  The tops and bottoms of the lamp bodies are vented to prevent overheating. Each is professionally wired for standard 110v American service. The old fashioned style toggle switches are brand new, UL approved, ready for hook-up.  These lamps will accommodate a 60W or smaller incandescent or similar size LED bulb. 7 ¾ inches high by 5 3/8 inches wide and 4 ¼ inches deep, weighing an amazing 6 1/2 pounds each!  Pristine original condition with an old high luster polish. Ready to use. Circa 1930. 595/pr

Contemporary lighting fixtures are very expensive, as anyone who has recently visited a high end hardware or lamp store can attest.  Here we have a genuine antique set of finest quality ship’s lamps about 80 years old, offered for far less than equivalent modern repros of inferior quality, which these days are typically made in China!  A lightweight “tinny” porch lamp was recently advertised in “Home and Garden” magazine for $295.  The lamps offered here are the real deal!


side
back

Order Info



18.36   GLOBE LANTERN.  Early 1900’s ship’s hurricane warning lamp with a large ruby red  globe.  This fine American-made lamp is constructed of galvanized steel with brass fittings.  The heavy wire cage serves to hold the top and bottom of the lamp together while protecting the precious globe.  The top is equipped with a large brass suspension loop for hanging and the sides have brass eyelets for securing is a seaway.  It is complete with its original all brass spring-loaded “pop-up” font and burner.  The wick advance knob is marked “P & A MFG CO. Waterbury Conn, Made In U.S.A.”  This handsome veteran of the sea is in its original red paint which has acquired a nice old weathered look.  The lovely glass globe is in perfect condition. 595  

CAUTION

back
bottom

burner
with burner

Order Info



18.61  FIGURAL TABLE LAMPS.  Matched pair of 19th century American portable table lamps.  These all brass oil lamps have a circular base supporting a bulbous brass column on which is mounted the oil font with burner and chimney holder.  The circular wick advance knobs are signed “STERN BRO’S N.Y.” and “THE P.&A. MFG Co VICTOR” respectively.  What makes these lamps really outstanding are their figural brass dolphin handles. They stand 9 inches tall and 5 ½ inches in diameter at the base, 6 inches wide overall.  Excellent original condition showing expected signs of use and a nice statuary bronze age patina. Circa 1875.  895/pr

Stern Brothers was founded in 1867 by Issac, Louis and Benjamin Stern, sons of German immigrants. In 1867 they began selling dry goods in Buffalo, New York. The following year they moved to New York City and opened a store at 367 Sixth Avenue. In 1877 the business moved to 110 West 23rd Street. Outgrowing that facility, the Sterns erected a new building on the same site in 1878. The elegant store was noted for its fashionable clothes and other high end goods. Ladies from all over the country came to Stern Brothers for their Paris fashions. The enterprise was distinguished by its elegant door men in top hats and impeccable service.

“P & A,” Plume & Atwood, was organized in January 1869 as HBA (Holmes, Booth and Atwood) with the name changing to the Plume and Atwood Manufacturing Company in 1871. The company was incorporated in 1880. Plume & Atwood produced a full line of kerosene lamps and associated oil burning equipment. Between 1871 and 1912 the company had 62 lighting patents thanks primarily to the company’s namesake, Lewis J. Atwood, who was a prolific inventor. While Plume & Atwood manufactured and marketed their own line of lamps, they also produced and supplied fittings to other lamp manufactures, in this case Stern Brothers of New York.


CAUTION

burner detail
handle

makers
bottom


Order Info



18.94  FIGURAL GIMBAL LAMP.  Very rare, ship’s cabin lamp with the desirable aspect of being decorative as well as functional.  This handsome lantern is of English manufacture and is all brass construction.  It features a removable oil sump (reservoir) within a weighted brass body slung in gimbals.  The body of the lamp is nicely tapered, ending in a heavy solid sphere at the bottom.  The top is fitted with a classic pop-up “star” burner with wick advance knob impressed ”SHERWOODS LTD. B’HAM.”  This type of burner tilts back on a hinge to expose the wick for servicing.  It threads into the font with a positive fit and holds the crystal chimney by means of a small, knurled set screw.  The font (sump) fits nicely within the lamp body which seats snugly in the gimbal ring supported by the unique brass bracket in the form of a stylized dolphin.  The fine detail in the casting of the dolphin bracket and its shell back indicate early manufacture and not some later knock off.  The stout cast brass back has 4 holes for mounting to the bulkhead.  At the bottom of the lamp body is a heavy solid brass sphere which, by its heft, assures the proper balancing of the gimbal in a seaway.  This lamp itself measures 7 ¾ inches high by 5 inches wide at the widest, and protrudes 8 ½ inches from the bulkhead.  The entire assembly measures 12 inches high inclusive of the hand-blown crystal chimney.  Extra nice original condition with absolutely no material flaws.  The original lacquer shows wear in several locations and the surfaces have acquired a good patina evidencing years of actual use at sea.  A real rarity in marine lamps.  Only the second such example we have offered in our 38 years!  585


CAUTION

front
burner detail

burner open
bracket

Order Info



18.93    RARE FIGURAL SHIP’s CABIN LAMP.   Genuine second half 19th century ship’s cabin lamp  having the very desirable aspect of a detailed cast brass dolphin bracket.  Few ship’s lamps exhibit such a decorative feature, indicating this lamp must have come from an important cabin.  The heavily-weighted lamp body has a lovely flower form solid brass counter weight at the bottom and its original font and burner.  The burner is complete with its functional wick advance knob embossed with a pointed star.  The highly detailed dolphin bracket is very finely cast, abutting in an equally fine scallop shell mount.   Of great significance is the fact that the mount is accompanied by its removable mounting bracket and original mahogany back.  The dolphin bracket slips into slots on the backing with a positive fit, which, at the same time, is easily removed.  This exceptional offering is complete with its flawless hand-blown crystal glass chimney.  The all brass lamp body measures 6 ¼ inches tall from the burner to the base.  The dolphin bracket extends 7 ½ inches from the bulkhead.  The wooden mounting back is 3 by 6 inches.   The entire assembly stands 13 ½ inches tall with chimney.   Excellent original condition with a lovely statuary bronze age patina.  The melding of artistry and function is rarely found in all but the most desirable maritime applications.  This charming example is one of those scarce exceptions.  Circa 1880.  895 Special Packaging


From our own collection, found in Northern Scotland  in the 1990’s.


CAUTION

perspective
detail

bracket
bracket assembly

Order Info



18.92 EARLY E.O.T. SIDELIGHTS.  Very, very scarce matched pair of 19th century oil lamps used to illuminate an early steamship’s bridge engine order telegraph.  These all brass lamps are hand-made and contain their early fonts and burners.  One is a whale oil type from the 1860’s and the other with wick advance knob is marked “Miller, U.S.A.”  The lamps are otherwise identical with a curved shape to fit on the telegraph and even curved glass!  The tops have charming hemispherical chimneys and the sides have a hinged door with press fit locking latch.  The bodies of the lamps themselves measure 8 5/8 inches.  The curved mounting plates are 7 ½ inches by 3 ½ inches wide.  Outstanding original condition with a fantastic original age patina exemplary of their 150 years.  389 /pair

CAUTION

opposite
open

curved glass

Order Info



18.91  AMERICAN BINNACLE SIDE LIGHT.  Extra, extra nice19th century American binnacle side lamp of superior quality.  This all brass lamp was hand-made in an unusual rectangular form, since most binnacle lamps were round or semi-circular.  Even more unusual is its rectangular chimney with arched top and perforated sides.  Access to the interior is gained by a very clever door hinged at the top and locking on the bottom with a complex spring-loaded latch.  The original font and burner are retained within a sliding track on the bottom.  The font easily slides in and out by means of the small pivoting ring on its side.  The wedge-type burner is embossed “SIMPLEX” and the wick advance knob is marked “E. MILLER & CO. Made In U.S.A.”  Speaking to the quality of its construction the lamp has air boxes on either side of the font which open to small aspiration holes on the exterior.  The front of the lamp retains its original old wavy glass in perfect condition.  The front sides of the lamp have “wings” which would have slid into tracks mounted to the side of a binnacle.  Alternatively, the lamp could have been mounted to the side of an early wooden boat binnacle, attached by screws, three on each side of the wings.   6 ¾ inches tall by 4 ¾ inches wide and 2 ½ inches thick.  Outstanding original condition with a lovely statuary bronze age patina. For the connoisseur of marine lighting, this example represents the best of the best of its genre.  We have never seen better.  289

CAUTION

side
burner

maker

Order Info



18.86  LIGHT CURTAIN LANTERN.  Unbelievable!  This is an extremely rare late 1800’s or at the latest, pre-1910 British ship’s lamp with the unusual feature of being able to be darkened without dousing the light source – in this case a single candle!  This massive ship’s light is constructed of thick sheet copper with heavy cast brass fittings.  The quality and heft of this lamp really defy description, the likes of which few familiar with marine lighting have encountered before!  The upper body of the lamp bears the embossed oval brass maker’s tag reading “BINKO RIDSDALE CO., LONDON.”   Other makers of similar but smaller lamps were Bulpitt & Sons and Eli Griffiths & Sons, both of Birmingham, England.  The maker was located in the heart of the London ships’ manufactory on 54 & 120 Minories.  The thick, massive magnifying lens is set into a tinned copper frame.  Below, a brass lever connected to an internal shield allows the light source to be completely covered.  There is a locking lever at the top to maintin the curtain in place.  On the reverse is the hemispherical hinged door with sliding pin closure.  It has a stout built-in parabolic mirror which doubles as a stiffener.  Inside are the remnants of a brass candle holder with bayonet twist-off cap.  It would have been spring-loaded to push a nearly 2 inch diameter candle up to the top as it was consumed.   The top of the lamp is equipped with a large aspirated chimney held by stout brass brackets and a pivoting brass hanger with securing pin on a chain.  This huge relic of the late 19th century stands 29 inches tall by 10 ½ inches in diameter and weighs a hefty 25 pounds.  As rare as they come! SOLD

Given extensive research on-line and in books pertaining to early lighting, it is still uncertain why the British chose to manufacture such behemoths producing a mere single candle power!  But the innovative light curtain did allow the user the convenience of “turning off” the light without blowing out source.   The timeframe of such light curtain lamps appears to have been in the 20 year period between 1890 and 1915 leading up to the Great War.  Subsequent to that time, scarce war resources were no longer available to produce such extravagant devices, additionally spurred by the advance of electric lighting.  As such, this relic comes from a narrow window in time, of which very few examples survive – especially one in nearly pristine original condition!  This is a true museum piece. 



detail
back

open
interior

left
right

light curitain lever
maker


18.77  HUGE SHIP’s MASTHEAD LAMP.   Very impressive all copper and brass German ship’s masthead lamp from the turn-of-the-last-century.  This extra large ocean-going navigational light retains its beautiful molded Freznel glass lens marked with 3 “G”s within a triangle.  The top front of the lamp bears the embossed brass tag reading “TOPLICHT.”  The lamp body is made of heavy riveted copper.  There are 4 cast brass brackets, 2 on each side, which supported the lamp on rods affixed to the top of the ship’s superstructure or mast.  A large copper bail handle is attached to the top for carrying.  That top is also equipped with a hinged, castellated chimney cap to disperse heat and to provide an opening from which to inspect the burner within.  To those ends the lamp is complete with a large copper oil sump (font) mounted on a slide-in tray.  The sump has a threaded brass oil filler cap and a support for its parabolic reflector.  The complex burner is of the finest typed with dual wicks, dual wick advance knobs and built-in snuffer.  It is complete with its beautiful and original crystal chimney marked “ANCHOR BRAND FIRE PROOF” with anchor emblem.  Access is gained through the back by means of the hinged copper door with sliding pin closure.  This massive old ship’s lantern stands 21 ¼ inches tall exclusive of the bail handle, 12 ¾ inches wide at the widest by 10 ½ inches deep and weighs an impressive 16 pounds!  Outstanding condition with no dents, dings or losses and a lovely old age patina.  The Freznel lens is perfect.   895  

CAUTION

DETAIL
SIDE
BACK

OPEN
BURNER ASSEMBLY
CHIMNEY

Order Info

Back to Top